Celebrations in the US and Canada, related to the 400ths.As Cape Ann and Salem, MA prepare for their 400th, it is of interest to remind ourselves of the event at other places (including those in Canada).400th Anniversaries
First, Salem's 300th ought to be recalled (Dr. Frank was there).
... list of upcoming celebration sites ---
- 1941 (?) - Francisco Vasquez de Coronado's 1541 visit to Quivira (Wichita tribe - present day Kansas)
- 1965 - St. Augustine, FL (1565)
- 1984 (?) - Roanoke Colony
- 2006 - 400th of Rev. John White's appointment as Rector of Holy Trinity and St. Peter's churches in Dorchester, Dorset.
- 2007 - Jamestown, VA (1607)
- August 2007 - Brief celebration of the Popham Colony's experience (Plymouth Company). They built a sea-worthy ship, Virginia. John Hunt's map (1607).
- 2008 - Québec City, Quebec, Canada (1608)
- 2010 - Santa Fe, NM (1610)
- August 14, 2014 - Celebration of Capt. John Smith's mapping of the Isles of Shoals.
- 2020 - Plymouth Colony
- 2036 - Harvard
Prior Recent 400th Anniversaries.
Note: Content will deal with more than New England.
1 Get the firsts (Maritime provinces - several, Roanoke, Popham, ..., California, the interior (to wit, St. Louis, ...) -- See Gorges' remarks in the Annals about who was first
2 Find out about, and include, their celebrations
3 Then bring in New England's huge list
See http://thomasgardnerofsalem.blogspot.com/ for additional information.